- We work to support the formation of strong advocacy groups run for and by People Living with HIV/AIDS throughout the Central American region. Our focus is on the need to confront human rights violations against people with AIDS, and on the equally urgent need for People with AIDS to receive potentially lifesaving medications in the region.
- We try to organize and make available information about the situation of People Living with AIDS throughout the Central American region and we have material available in Spanish and English. We also have available a directory of Agencies working in the field of AIDS and human rights for sexual minorities in Central American countries.
Tel/Fax: (506) 2280-3548
Website: www.AguaBuena.org - website is in English as well as Spanish.
- The Diversity Movement is an organization that is dedicated to advocating EQUALITY as well as IMPROVING the quality of life for those that face discrimination- particularly in the areas of sexual orientation and gender identity. The Movement promotes and advocates the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons through: support, to cope with an adverse society; education, to enlighten an ill-informed public; and advocacy, to end discrimination and to secure equal civil rights. We wish to create a world in which our people may grow up and be educated with freedom from fear of violence, bullying and other forms of discrimination, regardless of their real or perceived gender identity or sexual orientation.
- The Diversity Movement uses various methods, such as planned events and campaigns, to educate, advocate and get the word out for the purpose of generating policy actions to combat the causes and effects of social exclusion.
Website: www.MovimientoDiverdidad.org - website is in Spanish only.
Unión de Hecho en Costa Rica
- Our site is dedicated to ensure the rights of all human beings; which is echoed in our cry, "Human Rights Must be for EVERYONE." On this site, we will publish the opinions of those advocating, ‘Yes’ to an inclusive society and ‘Yes’ to the Civil Union Act of same-sex couples.
Website: www.UnionDeHechoCR.Blogspot.com - website is in Spanish only.
- CIPAC is a non-governmental, humanitarian, professional and leader, whose purpose is to eliminate social inequalities linked to sexual orientation and gender identity, through research, social audit and promotion of human rights and health.
- It is an organization of wide experience, professional and committed to serve as a reference for topics related to gay-lesbian populations, both nationally and internationally.
Tel/Fax: (506) 2225-5062
Website: www.CIPACDH.org - website is in Spanish only.
Communidad Arco Iris (Rainbow Community) / CARI
- We are an inclusive ecumenical community that respects all faiths without any practice in particular. We are a group of sisters and brothers united in our spirituality, our love and the certainty that our Supreme Being loves us regardless of our sexual orientation.
- We welcome gays, lesbians, bisexuals, trans, open-minded heterosexual, and any religion who wish to share their spirituality and their experiences of life based on love and solidarity in the community.
Website: www.CARI.ya.st - website is in Spanish only.
- Phoenix Group is a sister group (non-profit) of the Community Rainbow, something like a younger brother, who some time ago we initiated a friendly relationship of mutual support. This group meets in the same facility and shares our principles and wish LGTBTI service to the community of Costa Rica.
- It is a support group for the BGLT community that seeks to provide the community an alternative space in which we may receive information about the situations we face every day and topics of interest, directly focused on our personal development and socialization in an environment healthy and friendly.
Website: www.CARI.ya.st - website is in Spanish only.
Tico Osos (Costa Rican Bears)
- Tico Osos is a community of Costa Rican bears. The group has been organized since late 1998. Its main objective is to strengthen friendship and solidarity among its members.
- It is a non-profit organization. Over time the group was growing and gaining followers to become what it is today. Also, becoming the most visited bear site in Central America and the Caribbean.
- Tico Osos have become a strong community able to organize mass events of global nature such as the “Sun Bears” at the beaches of Manuel Antonio. Which brings in visitors from as far away and diverse as Mexico, United States, Canada, Spain, Argentina, Japan, Norway, Brazil, Venezuela, Colombia and of course, our brother countries of Central America.
Website: www.TicoOsos.com - website is in Spanish only.
Mujer y Mujer (Women and Women)
- Women and Women is an organization created by women for women. On this site you will find information about local get togethers, scheduled events, and information on the lesbian scene here in Costa Rica.
Website: www.MujerYMujer.com - website is in Spanish only.
Orgullo Gay CR (Gay Pride CR)
Website: www.OrgulloGayCR.com - website is in Spanish only.
- ILISA is a medium-size language school located in a suburb of San José, Costa Rica. Our mission is to give you the language skills you need to help you develop yourself professionally or to allow you to better enjoy your travels. To reach these goals, we offer a variety of well-developed yet flexible programs.
- Unlike many businesses in the Americas, ILISA encourages gay & lesbian travelers to join us. You can count on a respectful and non-discriminating attitude of any of our staff members and teachers. And, should you like to make use of our homestay program, we assure you of a gay-friendly host 'family'.
Tel: 1-800-ILISA 4 U (800-454-7248)
Website: www.ILISA.com/wel-gay.htm - website is in English.
The International Gay and Lesbian Association of Costa Rica has regular social gatherings once or twice each month. There gatherings are mostly in English. If you are interested in finding out more about their group please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org